Michael Kealy offers decades of experience as a litigation and trial attorney, practicing primarily in the areas of commercial litigation, business torts, natural resource and real estate litigation. Mr. Kealy also counsels businesses and individuals in structuring agreements and negotiating solutions to complex disputes.
Michael Kealy represents clients that include large, national companies; local businesses; employers; political subdivisions and individuals in protecting their real and personal property rights; contractual matters; and business interests. Some examples of Mr. Kealy’s experience include :
- Lead counsel in the landmark case of Clean Water Coalition v. The M Resort, LLC, which defined the state constitution's limits upon the state legislature's sweeping of funds from political subdivisions. Mr. Kealy successfully protected $62 million of his client’s funds.
- Counsel for a large mining company in litigation to protect its water rights in the Humboldt River Basin
- Lead trial counsel in state court on behalf of large rural property owners in successfully protecting easement rights, including an award of attorney fees and an order of contempt against the opposing parties, resulting in their confinement in jail
- Co-trial counsel for a commercial parking and security company owner against other owners over control of the company. Obtained a successful judgment in favor of the client in addition to an award of attorney fees in excess of $500,000 and sanctions against the opponents in excess of $20,000.
- Trial counsel for a British investment fund in pursuing a former employee who embezzled more than $50 million Euro and absconded to Nevada. Obtained a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction that ultimately resolved the case and a companion case in Great Britain.
- Representing numerous owners of real property and rural ranch properties in disputes over ownership, easements, water rights, royalties, leases and contracts.
Defended Client and Secured Good Faith Settlement
Defended client against claims from a company that provides medical provider financing. Although the company obtained a judgement in the case collectively in excess of $5 million a good faith settlement was secured for the client for the sum of $50,000.
Defended Claims of Interest Royalty and Reached Beneficial Settlement
Defended mining company from claims that a another company is entitled to an interest royalty. Years later the claim was refiled and a beneficial settlement was reached for the clients.
Water Rights Litigation
Lead litigation counsel for gold mine impacted by litigation that would negatively impact its water rights.
Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1983
University of Nebraska-Omaha, B.S.B.A., 1980
AV® Preeminent™ rating in Martindale-Hubbell
The Best Lawyers In America 2008 - 2023
Named Best Lawyers in America 2022 "Lawyer of the Year" for Reno Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
Named Best Lawyers in America 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" for Reno Litigation - Real Estate
Recognized in Chambers USA, Litigation
Nevada Business magazine's Legal Elite 2012
American Bar Foundation
American Bar Association
Member (1984 - Present)
The Bruce R. Thompson American Inn of Court
President (2013 - 2014)
Association of Defense Counsel of Northern Nevada
Economic Development of Western Nevada
(EDAWN – Board of Trustees Member)
Parsons Behle & Latimer attorneys recognized by Best Lawyers in America
"Best Lawyers" Ranks 56 Parsons Attorneys as Top in Intermountain West
Parsons Behle & Latimer Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America™. Fifty attorneys recognized: nine as “Lawyer of the Year,” five as “Ones to Watch”