Shane is a deal attorney with over 25 years’ experience. He effectively and efficiently advises and guides clients to support their business objectives, providing valuable knowledge and insights at all stages. Shane regularly assist clients with formation and organizational matters, corporate governance, debt and equity financings, securities matters, mergers and acquisitions, technology transactions and other matters.
Shane is a partner focused on corporate and transactional matters. He helps clients achieve business objectives while balancing risks and costs. He takes great care to communicate with clients at all stages of a transaction to remain aligned with the client’s expectations and to address changing circumstances.
Shane has represented clients in all stages and has substantial experience in a wide range of transactions including startup company formation, early stage structuring and financing, governance and operating agreements, securities issuances, equity compensation plans, mergers and acquisitions, external general counsel representation, divestitures, corporate restructurings, and drafting and negotiating complex business and technology contracts. Additionally, Shane serves as a co-chair of the firm’s opinion committee and regularly provides legal opinions, including local counsel opinions as part of larger financing transactions.
Shane started his career at a boutique firm focused almost exclusively on securities transactions, including private placements, public offerings and disclosure. He then served as in-house counsel and an executive officer of a venture-funded Internet company through phases of rapid growth and constant change. As a member of management, he was involved with all levels of company operations and strategies. He was an integral part of a small acquisition team responsible for acquiring nearly two dozen businesses over a compressed period of time. While in-house, Mr. Hanna gained broad exposure to various technologies and how they are implemented in real world situations through licensing and collaborative arrangements.
Shane’s education emphasized business and transactional matters and he earned a joint MBA/JD degree from the University of Utah and also has a degree in accounting. Because he has practiced in both a large and small firm environment and has also been part of management within a company, Shane has a balanced perspective in approaching legal issues for clients.
Represented Rio Tinto in the Divestiture of the Colowyo Coal Mine
Drafted divestment agreement and handled negotiations with buyer in successful divestment of the Colowyo Coal Mine (Colorado).
Other In-House Representative Matters
While in-house, Mr. Hanna's experience included the following:
- Structured, negotiated, analyzed, and drafted business transactions and agreements, including agreements for services, licenses, financing activities, acquisitions, employment and franchise offering; implemented and oversaw policies; and monitored compliance
- Negotiated strategic relationships with various parties, including ACN, Melaleuca, Level3, Qwest, Yahoo!, Salt Lake Olympic Committee, Ducks Unlimited, MStar, McDonalds, Johnson & Johnson, Google, and others, as well as all major telecommunications providers
- Managed all legal aspects of acquisitions of more than 20 enterprises, including the largest Canadian privately owned network, a broadband platform company, a wholesale dialup provider and others
- Negotiated, drafted, and closed various financing transactions, including private equity offerings of more than $30 million and a $26 million venture debt facility to fund acquisitions
- Instrumental in development of company processes and company's growth to $65 million in annual revenue, including overseeing sales processes and deal evaluations
Consolidated Seven Home Medical Equipment Enterprises into One Group Operation
University of Utah College of Law, (J.D., 1994)
University of Utah (M.B.A., 1994)
University of Utah (B.S., 1991)
Honors: Cum Laude
Utah Law Review
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Association for Corporation Growth
Securities Private Placements, Including Through Crowdfunding and Online Offerings,
Final Week to Encourage the SEC to Adopt New Rules Increasing the Ability of Businesses to Raise Capital,
SEC Provides Conditional Relief to Reporting Companies Affected by COVID-19,
Parsons Behle & Latimer Deal Closes Making Client Navajo Transitional Energy Company Third-Largest U.S. Coal Producer,